Chapped lips, dry, flaky skin, and an itchy scalp. Does it sound like something you have gone through?
Yes, we are talking about the cold and brutal winter months. And brutal, especially with respect to your skin. In lower temperatures, the moisture from your skin tends to get sucked out, leaving it extremely dry and flaky. For such conditions, a powerful skin treatment can be taken. It is called Microneedling.
Here, we will talk more about what this procedure is, why it is beneficial for the skin, and what precautions one needs to take before and after.
What is Microneedling?
Also known as Collagen Induction Therapy, it is a minimally invasive procedure that rejuvenates your skin from within. The basic process goes like this:
1. CLEANING THE SURFACE: The skin is washed and disinfected.
2. ANESTHESIA: An anesthetic gel may be applied on top of your skin to provide a numbing effect. Although this treatment is not painful, some people tend to have a low pain threshold. Even if you are one of those people, you don’t have to worry one bit. After the gel is applied, you won’t feel a thing!
3. MICRONEEDLING: The expert then uses a pen-like instrument to make microscopic pin-pricks on your facial skin. These pricks are so small that they are not visible to the naked eye.
4. The pen is slowly moved over all the target areas.
5. CALMING SERUM: After the procedure is over, the clinician may apply a calming lotion or serum on top.
The whole process takes nearly 30 minutes.
How does it work?
The microscopic pin-pricks initiate the repair process in the skin. This is the body’s natural response to any disturbance in the structure of the skin. There is increased blood flow to the areas treated. The activity of a protein called Collagen increases manifold.
Collagen is responsible for the elasticity of the skin. It is the part that holds it firmly and prevents the loosening of skin. Therefore, procedures like Microneedling NYC and PRP (Plasma Rich Protein) Therapy are also used to reverse the effects of aging on the skin and make the skin look supple and glowing.
Another use of micro-needling is to get rid of any scars on your skin due to acne or otherwise. Acne scars are a very common problem and we haven’t been able to find a solid and lasting solution for them. But microneedling has shown tremendous results in such cases.
Why Microneedling in winters?
Winters tend to take a toll on your skin. It’s as if someone has sucked out all the moisture from the skin. This makes it look extremely dull and unhealthy. Microneedling NYC done by a professional clinic like Karmina Beauty Clinic will rejuvenate your skin and give you back that glow and blush that is missing.
Winters are the ideal time to get such sin treatments done. The major reason for this is that your skin produces considerably less amount of sebum, which is the oil secreted from the pores on your skin.
On top of that, the weather is such that there is naturally more flow of blood to the superficial areas to keep them warm. When it comes to micro-needling, this will make the process a lot more efficient.